Sunday, January 16, 2011

Chapter Five - Fiber Shredding and Workout Plan - Nine Years To Live (Commentary)

You don’t know how out of shape you are until you start running and I’m not talking about a stair climber or treadmill. I’m talking about actually shoe to road pounding.

 

I always hated cardio. Course I was a smoker so running was my least “tangible” way of getting fit. I had cut smoking out three weeks prior to stretching my legs for the first time to do the “unthinkable.”  I knew I couldn’t expect much and it was a good thing. I made it about two and half home lengths before I was buckled over gasping for air. Then I walked two and half houses then would run for a house length then repeat process. I was frustrated that I wasn’t getting further but accepted that it was a work in progress.

 

Within a month of this process, I was doing a mile before falling to my knees and was managing two miles on a treadmill.

 

I had always been fascinated with Bruce Lee’s philosophy, and mind. I had adapted his philosophy of mind and body after my wife had left. I had already adapted his philosophy on work years before. I had read some of his early writings and after High School adapted the art of “writing everything into words,” until present. Bruce Lee may be the reason I write so much to be honest. His raw approach to how he studied and worked his trait, I also carried over to my life too.

 

My camera work and editing comes from his philosophy of, “Be water. Be shapeless and formless in your approach.” There is no “format.” This practice has helped my company be successful with the diverse jobs we do. One day a corporate detailed infomercial, the next day I’m on a skateboard following kids off a flight of stairs, the next day, we’re making a film. I become the job I was doing as Bruce taught me to do.

 

Now his philosophy on training may be a little far fetched for me. His workouts obviously involved a lot of martial arts. Sure if I was going to do it then, “DO IT,” but at this venture into the journey, just rebuilding and then building from the rebuild would be the primary goal.

 

Here was a typical work out day for the legend to give you an idea of why, I wouldn’t be able to adapt to this.

 

[[posterous-content:pid___0]]

Have you seen Rocky? Well hitting a big slab of beef may look over dramatic but I can assure you it is murder. The same concept goes for a heavy bag. Even the best of shape will feel their body’s fail after ten minutes of forcing themselves on to it.

 

Heavy Bag

There were a million ways to approach and work a heavy bag: Combos, straights, hooks, one handers, whatever. To start I just punched the crap out of it. As I started seeing results I toned it down a bit, working on technique. This consisted of one handed taps using each fist until my shoulders melted off my body. I found this method although not as “active,” worked my body even more thoroughly.

 

 

Jump Rope

This was another high cardio anytime kind of workout. Even if you are new to jump rope and only manage 10 to 15 rotations before tripping up, it was a great “in between” exercise I could do whenever I found a couple of minutes.

 

Speed Bag

Not much  of a heart worker but great for hand eye coordination and shredding your, (shoulders and biceps,) with optimal work.

 

Underneath the new layers and fat pockets on my mass of waste, there was muscle. I wasn’t starting from scratch so I guess from a “vanity” point of view, it wouldn’t take but six months to get back to where I was. I was ten years older though so muscle memory may be  a little slower. Within the first 30 days I began noticing a difference. Of course, I was bombarding a haggard body with force it had not with stood in a long time. My workouts were clean. There were rare times, “I didn’t feel like doing anything, ” and those were usually days where I had been sleep deprived from some random wake ups by my restless son in the middle of the night. 

 

My workout plan faltered many times due to time. I was logically only allowed about an hour and a half to devote to my new way of life at an actual facility. Twenty five minutes would be devoted to running so that gave me an hour for “fiber shredding.” 

 

My original plan from many moons ago was a three day spread.

[[posterous-content:pid___1]]

But I also would work out 6 days a week because well... I had nothing better to do. Now that I had a business to run and a couple of kids to keep straight even 5 days would be stretching my limits. The challenge was to try and get all muscle groups in twice a week leaving the weekend to rest.

 

Sure I don’t get all of them in but my weak point, (chest and shoulders,) get the commitment needed.

[[posterous-content:pid___2]]

On Day 1 Workout, I do all machine builds. The stress isn’t quite as bad making me less sore the day after but the Day 4 workout or 2nd Rotation, I do free weight builds which gives me a very sore day after but also gives me a 3 day turn around to rest.

 

Still being impatient with the result process, I began the supplement stacking. I never just do anything to do it.  I do things to get what I want out of it, this was no different.

Posted via email from Diary of A Shoot Stuff Guy

No comments:

Shooting 24/7

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I shoot stuff. I edit stuff. Period.

    The Junk Pile

    Followers