Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Welfare Rig

You ever heard of a Fig Rig? If you have you know that Mike Figgis, the famous Digital Vid Director of Leaving Las Vegas and Timecode joined forces with Bogen/Manfrotto to come up with the what they call the Fig Rig.

For anybody that has not heard of it, here you go...






It is basically a light weight ring that your DV or HD camera attaches to that is a operator friendly answer to a 'Steadi-Cam.' It gives you lots of versatility with moving shots because of its size, shape and weight. It's a perfect alternative to use in low budget films where you need mobility with the camera at any given time with out killing your credit card on Steadicam Operators and thousands of dollar rigs just to grab the kinetics of the scene. It comes equipped with vice clips that allow you to put a boom mic, c- light, lunch tray for your sandwich whatever on it. It's a brilliant little invention that works well. I used it once down in Florida. I had planned on buying one when I made my million dollars.... I hadn't bought one yet, if you're curious.

Well, Jeopardy came along where the freakin' whole movie is basically moving shots. When budgeting for Tag Along, I had actually budgeted to purchase a 'Fig Rig' for that shoot, but the shoot did not turn out so here I was in a predicament. Jeopardy was already going to cost alot more than Meter and I didn't find a $700 steadicam rig being an easy sell in a budget already bloating in the equipment account department. So what to do...? I've seen "Fig Rigs" made out of PVC pipe, Hoolahoops, and believe it or not, coat hangers. Although these are all smart innovative ways to mount your camera, let's be serious for a minute. The PVC fig rig I ran a test on was just not firm and stable enough. If you want a climatic moving scene, your tools have to be stiff.... Ha. The guy argued that it was $5.00 to make.
I agree that that's pretty cheap,(but c'mon five dollars? The PVC Glue is $7.00 by itself.) The PVC Rig is cheap but does it do what you need it to do? No. If it isn't bouncing and flemsying around on the beam when you are moving, the pipe glue and joints moan and pop with every stride. This isn't good if you need sound. The Fig Rig itself is not completely bump proof to begin with. With minor bumps on top of a horizontally bouncy camera, due to the flexxy PVC piping, you are better off to hold the damn camera.

Alternative after alternative I looked at just wouldn't do. Finally, I took the specs of the real thing and Went to the CAD board and made my own specs, changing a couple of little things so that my rig would be better fit for my needs. I made a couple calls and ended up talking to a guy I had met at an oyster shuck a year ago who works for his father at metal manufacturer company. I sent him over my spec and told him what I needed:

A Lightweight Metal Support Beam for Video Camera. He said it shouldn't be a problem. Within an hour he had made it. It was spot on in measurements and mounting options. There were, (or are,) two differences between the "The Fig Rig" and "The Welfare Rig." The Fig Rig Ring is made of hollow aluminum and has a smooth black coat of ionized paint on it.

The welfare Ring is unfinished flat rot iron. The Fig, has a built in Camera Rest welding on the stem where you connect the camera to the mount and weighs 1/3 a pound lighter. The Welfare Rig is bare. You will have to go to Lowes and find a $.65 metal washer, (2 to 3 inch, with a 1/4' hole in it.) If you can't find a plate with a 1/4' hole, get a metal plate of the same size and find somebody with a metal drill bit and bore a hole. If you are smarter than me get one before you decide to get the welfare rig made in the first place.

OK, I live in the furniture mecca of the East Coast so finding a Metal Manufacturer for me was real easy. Well, honestly, there are metal manufacturers everywhere and if you call them on a good day and are real nice they won't turn you away. It may take longer than an hour for results depending on their volume. You may be able to find somebody that works with metal at home and is bored on Sunday since footballs over. Either way, it's worth the work. Dan did not charge me a penny for mine. I ask him if I was a bigger schmuck than I already am, how much would it cost me. He said if you were off the streets, I would charge $40 for the job. (It may end up a little more if you bring that plate with you and ask them to weld it on or bore a hole in it for you.) So, $41 for the frame including plate, $8 for Duct Tape and Sponge or Foam for comfort handles and $10 for the universal tripod pin screw is pretty cheap for almost the exact same rig that Manfrotto charges $700 for. With that being your budget, you can probably afford to buy the actual Fig Rig Clips they sell separately for $30 a piece that allow you to connect boom mics, remotes, lunch trays to the rig. (I don't have an answer for that yet.) Either way, after about four hours of cumalitive labor and research, I have a steadicam rig that mirrors the same rig that is becoming an industry standard for music videos and documentaries. Below is a picture of "The Welfare Rig" stripped down. I have not had a chance to shoot any footage with it, but honestly after using the actual "Fig Rig" before, I know there is no difference what so ever beside cosmetics.Underneath the picture of the actual prototype is the spec I gave my guy to make it.

Any Vid guys and gals, I'll make it easy on you. Email me or comment me and I'll send you a PDF of it to use to shop around. "The Fig Rig" or now in my neighborhood known as "The Welfare Rig" works like a champ for a low end makeshift steadicam unit. Learn your movements. Learn your angles. It will change the way you shoot footage. Guaranteed.




The Specs I used.




The Rig in Action...




No comments:

Shooting 24/7

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I shoot stuff. I edit stuff. Period.

    The Junk Pile

    Followers