Sunday, March 23, 2008

May Be Crazy Enough to Work

Production hit a huge snag when we lost, (almost before we had,) Viewmont Square Condos as the location for the final sequence of the film. That location was a "All in One Location" meaning, the scene calls for a common room, elevator, hallway and then apartment in that order. Viewmont Square had all that and the coffee house, alleyway and exteriors of the building. It would have been a cake walk. Well, they decided not to participate which leaves me in quite a bind. There are three other building besides VS, (excluding hospitals,) that have more than four floors and an elevator. One is The Abbey apartments which want work. One, the hallways are too narrow and the elevator opens up to the outside entrances to the apartments which leave no room for lighting unless we use a crane. (And my only enemy in existence is the company that runs the realty property, so well.... Shucks.) The other is First Plaza. It is a commercial building on the outskirts of town. I think it has about 9 floors, BUT it looks like a commercial building not a residency and I don't know, (because I haven't been out there to take a good look yet,) how well it would play off even if I find the private owners beg them to allow me to use it after hours. The one cool thing is I believe they have 24 hour security there which means one, shooting at night for us and them would be absolutely possible and two, we wouldn't have to worry about anything because we'd have the Carte Blanc because we would have Mr. Security in our corner.

If the location won't work or we can't get it then there's Plan Z 1/2--- The combination of the School for the Deaf and Broughton in Morganton.





So for the last week all I have been doing is stressing about locations because we are in the middle of final negotiations with rental equipment etc.. And all of a sudden I may have to move in the middle of a tight four day shoot an hour down the road. Worse than that, until I secure or figure out where that location is going to be, the production pretty much stops... (Because in a small budget like this, your location is what you base everything around.) That location is unfortunately like the downtown sequence; it can not be sacrificed nor compromised. Well, so I'm going over and over in my head trying to find a solution, even at times THINKING of rewriting, (NOT GOING TO, JUST THINKING,) then I'm sitting there watching SEVEN, (f#$!ing great movie,) and Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman are standing at John Doe's door and John Doe comes around the corner and for the first time, I'm looking at the hallway surrounding the actors. I pause the DVD player and it comes to me:

I typed up this email/letter to Ryan, Mark and Freddy seconds later...


No comments:

Shooting 24/7

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I shoot stuff. I edit stuff. Period.

    The Junk Pile

    Followers