Monday, March 17, 2008

Method to the Madness

OK, so I got asked over the weekend how, why and what the hell about my elaborate storyboards. The question I wanted to answer first was:

 

1)Do you draw that stuff out of your head combining it with what you want out of the shot?

 

--No. When I wrote this script I had a pretty good idea which shots I wanted. Then I sit down and read the script over and over. Then I try to find the pacing and then I start sketching little chicken scratch thumbnails or what I call "pace boxes" that just kind of have one liners in a box to signify the quick shots. Then I take those notes and sketches and draw out my boards.
My scribbled up script.

The End Result of that Page




For this film, (because it is so important,and this answers another question by the way,) I will scan every plate and import it into Keynote, FCP, AE, something and actually cut the still frames together to music and narration. This will-- One will allow me to feel the pace of the film and also, (and more importantly,) know if my shots will work. If some dont, I will have time before we are ever standing downtown waiting to shoot to fix my shot list.

 2) Why are they so elaborate this time?

 --- OK... Yes, they are much more elaborate than normal but again I had two purposes for the elaborate ones.


Storyboards from a film I never made, entitled "Robbin' Biggies".... Maybe one day.


  1. Before, I had acquired money to make the film, my intentions were to do them very detailed so that I could make them into a Power Point/Slideshow to include in the business package. I figured if they saw that piece of media, they would know I mean business and it would help them get a feel of what I am trying to do with the money they were/are going to lend me.

2. As explained earlier... I could use them to pace and secure my shot lists.

Now... Since I have the money to shoot the movie now, why continue to devote time to it when there
is so much more to do?

 1. If you noticed I haven't been pumping video up on these things like I use to... The reason being, is my daughter really doesn't allow me to sit at the computer by myself for long periods of time. The reason my website has not been updated in months?.... The same reason. BUT, WE CAHYER, (Payton's Pronounciation of Color,) together all the time and as long as I leave spare scrap paper between her Care Bear coloring book and my storyboard drawings, (for spontaneous draw off the page episodes,) I am able to do them with quite efficiency.

2. Is wrapped into that reason? I started it and it looks really good and I enjoy it so on the off hours when I can't be on the phone or breaking down stuff or editing... I do these. It relaxes me.

3)Why do them to begin with on such a small "little" action film?

Answer: All of the answers above plus, Ryan and I have limited time to collaborate on this so the more diagrams and drawing out stuff that I did, the easier it will be to convey my vision. Also.... We've been tryng to hire a Gaffer and many of them have been asking in detail what our lighting needs are. Me not exactly knowing have just forwarded them my drawings and said, "here, we want to do this kind of stuff... Outside.... At night."

They return to me with, "Ol, OK. I get it now. I'll get you a quote together." .... The less I have to talk the better off I am.





No comments:

Shooting 24/7

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I shoot stuff. I edit stuff. Period.

    The Junk Pile

    Followers