Friday, November 28, 2008

Remaking OZ

My Sophmore year at UCLA, I actually outlined using, the Annotated Wonderful Wizard of Oz an epic remake of the family classic. Mine actually followed the book much closer incorporating the “political” undertones and also came with The Quadlings, The Queen of the Field Mice, the Special Glasses that had to be worn in the City of Emeralds and had the Lion becoming the King of Beasts. These were just a few of the small elements of Baum’s masterpiece left out of the original 1939 Musical. Sure the film was a bit more “adultish” but would be a musical and would still be an easy PG film.

With a pitch like this, (back then of course,) you have to have some clout just to get a meeting with a middle man that would listen to you before going to the big men who would then go to the bigger men who would then go to Oz the Great to do some more deciding, before they would give you 10 reasons why you would be “mad” to remake OZ in anyway shape or form. With that said I put the Composition Book away figuring I had 10 years before I could ever get that meeting and another 100 before they would ever let ME or anyone else remake OZ.

On the last page of my scribbled outline and sketches there was a list of other kid films I would give, (or would have given,) my loins to remake. On this list were some of the familiar titles:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Tales of Petter Rabbit
Treasure Island
Peter Pan
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

Now years later, I can only be angry (and pleased because of who it is) that, Tim Burton has had the privilege of remaking Wonka and Sleepy Hollow and is in production on Alice in Wonderland now. Peter Pan, I believe with the assortment of various Pan stuff including that bomb of a film, (that I loved regardless,) Hook, Neverland will be Neveragain. If I don’t get moving getting “clout” soon, somebody or Burton is going to get to do my Wonderful Wizard of Oz film.

From what I’ve seen, I’m unsure of the look for Tim Burton’s Alice... I mean he’s been spot on for all his films in the past but I’ve always seen Alice as very primary color, deep space and most importantly lots of visuals. The original book actually is a bit darker and a little more should I say realistic. I’ve only seen a few pictures so far so I may be completely wrong. Alice is to be released on my daughter’s birthday in 2010. I have until that date to lock in my Oz remake or I’m sure with his and I’s track record, he’ll have it locked down.




Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter









No comments:

Shooting 24/7

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I shoot stuff. I edit stuff. Period.

    The Junk Pile

    Followers