Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Film's Mission Statement

I was a little emotional on Friday when I realized how much work we had really put into this film in the last year and also realized just how close we are to our finest hour.

A Note from the Director:

I’m 34. I’ve worked at this hobby since I was 16... And I’m still nobody. I haven’t made a dime off any of the films I’ve made. Sure, I’ve made some money doing boring stuff like weddings, commercials, documentaries, but never made a dollar not one dollar off a film. Not even the studio ones I slept in my car with five other guys for four days on. And it didn’t matter and still doesn’t. I’ve had some triumphs and tragedies. Until my last film, I had begun to accept the bad decisions I made throughout my career and opportunities squandered put me right where I was and there was nobody to blame but myself. Then I decided to try it ONE MORE TIME and all the ups and downs of my life in filmmaking all came back and I used all the bad decisions to my advantage and made a truly great film and more importantly found my voice. Suddenly it was if I just... Got it.

Filmmaking is a monster. There’s a million filmmakers out there who are a million times better than the filmmakers we know. What separates them? Money, (funding for their film.) That and the amount of endurance and stamina they have to eat shit and break their back doing the trait. That’s it.

Me, I’m not one of those talented guys... But my endurance and stamina for my trade is up there with Cool Hand Luke’s during that boxing fight in the yard. Well, two friends who I probably don’t deserve the honor to know have given me a second and last chance to do what I love. Rick Deal, the author of the original story the film is based on generously threw me the story and said, “Go Ahead, do whatever,” even after it won an award. Ryan, my mentor and the film’s producer, generously is draining his savings account and unconditionally is putting all of it on what I would have said five years ago was a long shot. I can truly say now, “is a sure thing.” I’ve never been so confident in my work as a filmmaker and have never been so confident that the film we are about to embark on will redeem all those squandered opportunities and bad decisions I have made. Can we pay you to help? No. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been prepping this movie for a year so to assure nobody’s work would be in vain. I’ve compromised time with my family, my health and many money making jobs to prepare this film for shooting. Do I think it’s been worth it? Hell yes I do, because when this film is cut in November my family and I will look back and they will understand why we do what we do. They will understand what we have been put on earth to do. This film although small in scale will be huge for your career. I promise that as the Captain of the Ship. We will take everybody with us and you may be tired, broke and rashed come wrap time that Monday, but on my professional life, you will know you were just a part of something very special. We look forward to working with you all whether it is the first or second time. It will be a fun filled, learning, and inspiring experience.

The shoot will run as follows:

Saturday, September 27th - Mid day shoot. Call time tentatively 1:00pm

Sunday, September 28th - Mid day/night shoot. Call time tentatively 4:00pm - 2:00am

Monday September 29th- Night shoot Call time 6:00pm - 4:00am

I know some of my roster of guys have a day job like I do. Trust me, my boss thinks I’m going to see a fictitious grandmother in Arizona that weekend, so number one don’t get in trouble with boss. Two, since we can’t pay you, if you can not afford to miss work, don’t. I can’t secure a day’s pay nor pay your unemployment following principle photography until January when we get the big film either. If I could I would. If you can only work one, two of the three days, just let me know. I want to make sure I hire enough crew to be able to lose ya’.

If you have any preferences on food, please let me know. You will be fed Lunch and Dinner on Saturday. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on Sunday and Monday. Most will be home cooked meals so I am up for any ideas. On top of square meals there will be a snacks corner table in Headquarters that will be constantly stocked with drinks and edibles.

Headquarters will be an RV. It will be a place for Make Up, Recoup, Rest and where our HD Loader will be dropping the footage as we fill the cards. As long as you don’t trash the place you are welcomed to be in there IF and when we don’t need ya’.

Also, considering the two big days of shooting will be late nights, we would like to put two people to a room if possible. Saturday, we are actually shooting in the hotel we’re staying at, so anyway, I understand not many of you will know each other but honestly you will by Sunday at midnight and all we’ll be doing is sleeping there. If anybody has a problem with that, please feel free to let me know. I’ll make arrangements.

I also need to know your skills and where you want to be on the set. There’s shit loads of stuff to do. Do you want major responsibility, light responsibility? Do you want to be in charge of dressing the newsstand set or being my right hand man/woman through the entirety.

Again, thank you for being a part of this. We are happy you are on board. I’ll make it the best experience you’ve had all summer. I’ve attached links to places of interest if you are still not sold on the production. One is the Production Journal I have been keeping. One is the actual storyboards to film and if you are into that myspace we’re there too(don’t say anything it’s free publicity.) We are set on private because we have a lot of proprietary stuff on there so you will have to request us in order to see anything.

Feel free to call me or email at anytime. I look forward to building a working relationship and friendship with each and every one of you. I will say that, I spend a lot of time with my kids and rarely answer the phone during that time, but leave me a message and I’ll get back to you. Take care and again, thank you for taking this journey with us.


Yours truly,
Garrick Lane
Director/Dreamer

No comments:

Shooting 24/7

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I shoot stuff. I edit stuff. Period.

    The Junk Pile

    Followers