Wednesday, August 20, 2008

ALSO NEED ASSISTANCE ON LOCATION ISSUE

I've been prepping this film for a year and yes, I'm strapped with
time. Being a full time father on top of working full time and part
time contract, it makes getting stuff down daunting. But the most
miserable part of it all is the first thing I was dealing with for
this film last August, is gonna' be the last thing I deal with this
September as well.

LOCATION!! For the past two months I have settled on using a hotel
for the scene where Dana enters the elevator and heads to her
apartment while Henry, our stalker, is right in tow. Rick's original
story takes place in Baltimore but doesn't get into specifics about
her residence. I envisioned an old apartment building like you would
find in NYC or Baltimore where you have a gated and key entry that
leads you to a common room where occupants'mailboxes are. Then down
the hallway is one of those old elevators you have to pull the gate
to the side and door up on.





The Floorplan for the Common Room Entrance I had in mind but now
couldn't careless about the layout if it just had all the elements.





Upstairs Hallway to Apartments





From there you have a noisy ride up and exit from the elevator into
a hallway of apartments.

OK... So with the exception of the gated elevator with the manual
door, how hard even in Hickory, North Carolina should it be to find
something similar?

... You would think. Let me tell you, it's bordering ridiculous. A
year ago I thought I was going to get off easy when The Prism Group
seemed interested in allowing me to shoot in the vacant part of
Hickory Square but the rumors about Andy Wells were all true...
THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT, and that idea got squashed. So from there
The Abbey, Ramada and a select few of the other places fell through
before Mr. Tarlton was generous enough to give me carte blanc of any
of his hotels. This was great but again the problem was I had not
originally envisioned a hotel. I took him up on his offer while the
getting was good and decided I would continue crusading for my
original idea. Even contemplating moving the whole production to
Asheville was canned because the lack of assistance giving in the
location I needed. Salsbury had a couple of places but fresh off of
George Clooney's Nuckleheads and the money they brought with their
production, pretty much made my little small sum offer a laughing
stock. Broughton Hospital in Morganton had some great spots but was
not keen on me shooting anything indoors so that got tossed too.

Meanwhile, there were little spots here and there in downtown
Hickory that would work but they were not all inclusive. Like one
building had a cool elevator but no hallway. The other had a cool
hallway but no elevator and so on and so forth. In fact there was so
much difference in the locations that it would take us literally
painting or building on to the hallway to match them AND to put some
sweetener in that Ice Tea, every spot I've talked to wants $100 a
day to $75 an hour which is a deal if THEY HAD ALL THE ELEMENTS but
moving the set 5 to 6 different places at $100 a pop.... OUCH! I'd
have to sell my car.

If anybody got any ideas or know something I don't about buildings
in Hickory, I'm all ears and could probably negotiate a finders fee.
Let me know.

Here's two parts of the sequence. From the front door to the
elevator, scratch the actual elevator ride, then to when she gets
off.








EXCLUDE ELEVATOR RIDE



No comments:

Shooting 24/7

    follow me on Twitter

    About Me

    My photo
    I shoot stuff. I edit stuff. Period.

    The Junk Pile

    Followers